Thursday 23 January 2014

  

                                                                 A Rare Find

Bank barns dotted the rural landscape in my childhood years. Family farms consisted
of a bank barn, house, small shed/workshop and 100 acres of land. Over the years farming
has changed. The need for bank barns has decreased. Most barns have not been
maintained and have fallen down or have been taken down. 

I was blessed to tour the inside of this barn. Over the years the owners
replaced beams, walls and floors with new lumber. This allowed the barn to remain
structurally sound and usable today. The previous owners were hobby farmers. They
boarded a few horses on the bottom level and stored hay and straw in the upper level.
The new owner is undecided on the use of the barn as he is a cash crop farmer with
full time employment off the farm.

I treasure the time I spent inside this barn. The rope swing and  wooden ladders reminded
me of a time gone by. Loose doors banged against their frame each time the wind blew.
The smell of hay and straw tickled  my nose. Fresh air filled my lungs. My toes grew cold
inside my insulated boots. Precious memories flooded my mind. A single tear ran down
my cheek. A tear for a past life. A smile for  new beginnings and what the future holds
for this rare find.











No comments:

Post a Comment